Dubare Elephant Camp
What is it about elephants that brings out the child in everyone of us? Is it their gentle countenance that goes against the grain of their massive build? Or is it, we’ve all had, at some point in our lives? The Dubare Elephant Camp is a must-experience for the elephant lover in you. Karnataka’s history with elephants, goes a long way back and currently the state’s Forest Department has about 150 elephants in various camps. But in the recent past, after logging operations were ceased, there was a situation of freshly unemployed elephants.
Group Size2 to 10
The Dubare Camp, where elephants were trained for the famous Mysore Dasara, found a brand new calling. Today, it’s a place where hundreds of tourists get one-on-one with their biggest (quite literally) dream.
The Dubare Elephant Camp is a chance to get to know these giant, enchanting creatures better. With a host of activities built around this, many a guest has left the camp with a sense of responsibility to do their bit towards protecting elephants. A trained naturalist takes our guests through the complexities of elephant history, ecology and biology. Here, you not only get to observe the activities, but actually get to interact with the elephants. Generally guests spend over three hours with the elephants. Roll up your sleeves and pitch in for an elephant grooming session – watching elephants being given a scrub-bath in the river, with rituals like oil being applied to their forehead, tusks and the other aspects of elephant grooming will change your idea of pet maintenance.
Once the bath is done, learn how elephant food is prepared and how they’re fed. Mahouts will also demonstrate how elephants obey commands and how they functioned during their earlier role in logging operations.
The surrounding forests are home to exciting wildlife like the gaur, leopard, the wild dog, sloth bear, peacock, partridges, etc. Also during the months of July, August and September, JLR arranges for monsoon river rafting in the stretch adjacent to the camp. Both non-vegetarian and vegetarian fare is served. Upon request, we can arrange for some local cuisine to be part of the spread.
Stay Package Includes: - Stay - Lunch, Dinner & Breakfast - Elephant interaction - Jeep Safari into the Dubare Forest, Bird Watching / Trekking - Forest entry charges and GST 18%.
Day Visit Package Includes:** - Breakfast - Elephant interaction - Trekking - Lunch
- Everything not mentioned in Inclusion.
Day 1 :Click here to expand
- 12.30 Noon : Check in at the Dubare Elephant Camp and drink in the scenery around you. (Need to park your vehicle other side of the River and cross the river through Boat)
- 01:30 PM to 02:30 PM : First things first. Lunch and refreshments at the Gol Ghar to bring you back to yourself after that long drive.
- 04:00 PM : Prepare for the adventure ahead with a refreshing cup of tea/ coffee.
- 04:30 PM to 06:30 PM : Wildlife spotting time with a jeep Safari into Dubare Forest with a trained naturalist
- 07:00 PM – 08:00 PM : A wildlife film show at the Gol Ghar is another opportunity to learn about wildlife
- 08:00 PM – 09:30 PM : Dinner and campfire at the Gol Ghar
Day 2 :Click here to expand
- 06:00 AM : Wake up to birdsong and greet the morning with a smile and a cup of tea/coffee.
- 06:30 AM – 08:00 AM : Take a nature walk inside the Dubare forest with a trained naturalist
- 08:00 AM – 08:30 AM : Treat yourself to a hearty breakfast at the Gol Ghar
- 08:30 AM – 10:00 AM : Spending time with the elephants. At the Dubare Elephant Camp, a visitor not only spends time by simply watching elephants but of course, learning more about them. A trained naturalist is at hand to explain the various aspects of the elephant history, ecology and biology. The visitor can also participate in various activities like washing and scrubbing.
- 11:00 AM : If you must leave, we look forward to your next visit to discover the yet unexplored secrets of these forests.
The Dubare Elephant Camp offers luxurious cottages with attached bath facility. Located in an idyllic part of the Cauvery River, it makes a restful and wondrous experience.
Cottages - Weekday : Rs.5960 - Weekend : Rs.5960
River View Cottages - Weekday : Rs.6811 - Weekend : Rs.6811
Elephant Activities - Weekday : Rs.1060 - Weekend : Rs.1060
Day Visit - Weekday : Rs.1800 - Weekend : Rs.1800
- Seasonal hike applicable on above tariff
- Tariffs are per person per night on twin-sharing basis(For single occupancy 30% extra).
- Cottage- Bed and Breakfast package at Rs. 1,900.00 Per person
- Tariffs are per person per night on twin-sharing basis.
- Transfers to & from our resorts are not included in the tariff.
- Single occupancy charges are applicable.
- Tariff for children (accompanying parents) between 5 and 12 years is 50% discount on the tariff.
- Tariff May be changed without prior notice.
- Dress for comfort. Do avoid bright colours and stick to muted shades of green, black, grey and brown. The more you meld with the background, the better.
- Wear comfortable walking shoes.
- Avoid smoking - anything can start a forest fire.
- You'll be spending a lot of time outdoors. Don't forget your hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, torch, etc.
- Avoid plastics. We're really trying to cut down on plastics.
- Don't put perfume while going to safari.
- PETS ARE STRICTLY NOT ALLOWED
Life is unpredictable and we understand that sometimes you have to cancel or change your trip dates and it is our endeavor to make it as easy as possible for you. However, please understand that we plan everything including guide fees, permits, accommodation and ration in advance. Therefore, any cancellation means inconvenience and certain losses to the people involved in various stages of the program. Keeping that in mind, our cancellation charges are as below,
- Cancellations prior to 30 days from the start of the event: Full refund as cash.
- Cancellations between 30 days and 15 days to the start of the event: 50 % refund as cash.
- Cancellations less than 15 days to the start of the event: No refund.
- Cancellations will be accepted only by email.
Note: We reserve the right to cancel a program before departure in the event of logistical problems arising due to natural calamities, strikes, wars or any other circumstances that make the event inadvisable. In this case, we will refund 50% of the event fees.